I do not have a computer.
I haven't had a computer for about 2 months.
yep, that's right. I am living in the 21st century without a computer in my possession. although, if it weren't for my iPhone and Auburn University computer labs this would literally be impossible to manage. both of my classes have had material online, and planning a trip to Australia is hard to do without the email correspondence with the agency you are traveling with.
ohhh, yeah. about that. yeah. I'm going to Australia next week. NBD, right? just thought I'd pop over and take a photography class. apparently we are also hiking and spending considerable time out of doors, and for those of you that know me, you know that's totally what I spend all of my time doing (hint: italics is sarcasm font) so this should make for some interesting stories at least. I will be studying at LaTrobe University in Mildura, about 300 mi north of Melbourne in southeastern Australia (state: Victoria). a map:
according to Wikipedia, it is actually smaller than Auburn; HOWEVER Auburn feels way smaller than its supposed population of 53K so I'm just going around telling everyone that Mildura (pop. 30K) is like an Australian Auburn (totally unverified, but according to these pictures they have a cute downtown so close enough). evidence:
see, they even have a median in the middle of the road like College Street. except you may notice they are driving on the "wrong" side of the road. which leads me to believe I'm definitely going to get hit by a car.
so anyway, stay tuned to see the birth of my freelance photography career. no, seriously, I'm going for a photography class. I already said this, and I really wasn't kidding
other things that have been happening of late: I am about to move out of my apartment!!!!! after 3 years and some okay roommates (okay = perfect) I am getting ready to move out this weekend. which is turrible because I HATE HATE HATE HATE moving/packing/loading/carrying anything of the sort, and it's sad because Sydney and Jamie and I won't be living together anymore. however, Scarlett is incredibly excited to be the only critter in my new apartment, and Sam will probably be getting a backyard so the babies are in favor of the move. also, in addition to planning my trip, packing up my apartment (actually I haven't started this yet), and taking classes, I have been very hard at work on my genealogy project. ancestry.com is one of the coolest websites out there. my family has some crazy stories, some I have been able to confirm more than others. some examples of things I have learned:
- people weren't kidding when they said it used to be common for cousins to marry each other.
- most parents were either terribly uncreative or way too creative in choosing their children's names.
- I'm most likely of English, Irish, French, and Swiss origin, so far. I haven't made it "back to the boat" on all of the branches yet (which is my goal) so I could be adding some points of origin to this list. English by far has the most, Irish is where the Kelley comes from (obviously), but French origin is what is closest (my grandmother's grandmother was born in France). as for Swiss connections, this was news to me so I'm taking my Internet findings on this with a grain of salt.
- my family has done a really great job of keeping up with genealogical records (thank you, long dead people that never knew me).
- my ancestors lived all over the South: Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama....and also Pennsylvania which I found random.
- they also lived all over Alabama: Fayette, Jefferson, Coosa, Autauga, Greene, and (duh) Walker counties.
- most were farmers (or "planters" if they had larger farms) or miners.
- most lived to be quite old, even way back in the day, which I thought was pretty impressive.
xoxo


No comments:
Post a Comment